So as the valentine quilt starts to complete, I working on this quilt that I have been thinking about. I have one block done already here. This quilt I am taking ideas from pinterest where there is an unlimited amount of cat blocks. The second block I made was an adaptation from this stained glass piece I saw on pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/570972058990043413/
The question that I am still debating is whether the cats should have faces. I have started a third block also- more to come.
I have been working on this dress for a couple weeks and finished it last week. I wore it to work and got a lot of good feedback- which gives me the courage to post it here.
I added the little blouse which matches pretty closely and has little beaded edge.
Here it is without the blouse- unfortunately, the horizontal stripes are better when they are broke up by the jacket or they widen me a little bit. Also, it turns out if I have to take more than one picture I start to get cross. I should probably be nicer to my photographer. He took quite a few more and I always have that slightly angry face on which means I was “saying hurry up already”.
I drafted the pattern from a dress that I have that I loved that got a hole in it. I used Alabama Chanin techniques to hand sew it. In the process of sewing the neckline either stretched or was slightly too wide. I had reinforced the neckline with hand basting, but in future, I may fuse some fusible interfacing to the neckline to avoid stretching. It gapped when it was finished. I ran a line of elastic thread by hand in the binding right in the center front, hence the gathering.
Julie from my church gifted me this fabric. Originally it was cream and brown, I wasn’t too fond of the cream so I over dyed the fabric, first red then black. As you can see, there must be some polyester in the fabric because I didn’t get a super dark color either time. It took dye unevenly, resulting in the lighter stripes in between the wide stripes. I like this, too.
I will definitely remake this dress, it is super comfortable.
It is getting very close to done. I love this quilt. Visually there is a lot going on.
It is fun to look at, with its wonkiness and energy. It is interesting to me, having worked on it and started with so much red, how much the addition of the pink has changed and lightened. It is very improvisational, and that comes through in it. Now, off to the fabric store to get fabric for a frame.