new dress

new dress

I have been working on this dress for a couple weeks and finished it last week.   I wore it to work and got a lot of good feedback- which gives me the courage to post it here.

DSC05639

I added the little blouse which matches pretty closely and has little beaded edge.

DSC05640

Here it is without the blouse- unfortunately, the horizontal stripes are better when they are broke up by the jacket or they widen me a little bit. Also, it turns out if I have to take more than one picture I start to get cross.  I should probably be nicer to my photographer.  He took quite a few more and I always have that slightly angry face on which means I was “saying hurry up already”.

I drafted the pattern from a dress that I have that I loved that got a hole in it.  I used Alabama Chanin techniques to hand sew it. In the process of sewing the neckline either stretched or was slightly too wide. I had reinforced the neckline with hand basting, but in future, I may fuse some fusible interfacing to the neckline to avoid stretching. It gapped when it was finished. I ran a line of elastic thread by hand in the binding right in the center front, hence the gathering.

Julie from my church gifted me this fabric. Originally it was cream and brown, I wasn’t too fond of the cream so I over dyed the fabric, first red then black.  As you can see, there must be some polyester in the fabric because I didn’t get a super dark color either time. It took dye unevenly, resulting in the lighter stripes in between the wide stripes. I like this, too.

I will definitely remake this dress, it is super comfortable.

No Comments

Post a Comment

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

Skip to toolbar