now a flimsy

I realized lately that I like projects when they start, when they are small. The end, when they get big, I like them less.  Handling larger yardage is ungainly at best and difficult at worse.  This quilt, as all of my quilts, self-identified its size. In other words, I worked on the blocks until I had played out the ideas I had. Then I put it together and it accidentally became square.  Most quilts most functional if they are rectangular. For that reason, I added some extra fabric on the top and bottom to make it more rectangular:

.valentine-quilt

When Steve and I went to the fabric store, (yes, my husband will go the fabric store with me with very specific limitations: I cannot be “just looking or shopping”, I must have a very specific list and only get that. Also, there can be no football games of interest playing on TV at the same time.) and he got a good look at the overall proportions, he said the bottom and the top were too large. At most, he felt they should be the same size as the inner blocks, 10 inches (the size of my largest square ruler). I decided to go down to 12 inches. I am not sure if the difference is that great for me, but it gave me some extra fabric to play with and reduced the size of the quilt a little. I will get a picture of the changed proportions soon.

You can see (or maybe you could if I hadn’t cropped out the coffee table sitting on the couch) that this quilt is too big to lay out on my living room floor without moving a several pieces of furniture. I am going back and forth about whether to pin it at my house. I am 47 years old so crawling around on the floor pinning a quilt is starting to be uncomfortable.  It generally takes me 45 minutes to pin/baste a quilt. I am thinking about going over to church and using their large tables pushed together.  There are also problems with this: most related to the boredom of pinning a quilt. You can see why at this point in the process I procrastinate a little bit. Like writing really long blog posts, watching SNL skits about Donald Trump and prowling Facebook.

In any case, Steve picked out the fabric for the back:

dsc05716

Since the quilt was larger than 45 inches wide, I needed to piece it anyway we decided to get two different fabrics. Although these both are beautiful fabrics that work well with the front they are very different.  Yesterday, I decided to add some pieced section and the purple fabric that I cut off the top and bottom of the quilt. This will create a buffer of gradation between the two fabrics. Unfortunately, I didn’t take a picture so I will leave you a cliff hanger. Not as big of a cliff hanger as the Walking Dead (we just finished Season 6 on Netflix and are in heated discussions as to who, if anyone, got killed in the last episode – I think it was Spence).

 

Skip to toolbar