something is happening at the zoo

Today I discovered the internet has decided I am a gay, Russian man with erectile dysfunction so I guess I should go figure out a spam system for my site. <sigh> Unfortunately, this is type of work is too close to what people actually pay me for to do on a Sunday – so next week maybe. In the mean time, if I accidentally delete your comments, let me know. This is only if you comment directly on the site; Facebook should be fine

I started a new quilt, based on animals. This has extra meaning for me because my grandmother used to make quilts where she would take coloring book pages of animals and trace them.  I have some unfinished blocks she started and have used them in previous quilts like the ducky quilt on the back and in the cow in Paul’s quilt.

Anyway, I use my own technique. She traced them on the fabric with ball point pen and zigzagged around them. I put two layers of fabric over a piece of paper with the image on it. I draw over the image from the back with free motion on the sewing machine.  Here is my first camel attempt:

Steve and Paul loved it. However, when I told Steve about the next step, trimming it and zigzagging the edges, he didn’t think it would work out because of the color of thread I had used, He thought it would disappear into the background.  So here is Camel number 2:

I used a reddish brown thread for the base drawing then the lighter thread for detailing. Not sure what I will do with the first one yet.

 

 

New Year -new themes

This quilt was made for my family gift exchange. The goal is to bring only handmade gifts. Before Thanksgiving I got out the box of misfit blocks. This is a surprising large box of blocks that didn’t for various reasons meet the cut for the finished quilt. Sometimes it was math, that I wanted the quilt to be a different shape than the number of blocks I had. Other times they didn’t fit. There are some experimental blocks as well, blocks that I made one of and then realized I didn’t have the patience or the will to make more of that block.  I sorted them by color and came up with enough blue blocks for a lap quilt (also, yellow and red, but that is for another day) with only a few strips added to size them up. When I had put them together, they just didn’t quite have focal points so I added my theme for the year: birds.

The floral pattern on the back was the only material including batting I bought, and of course, I bought too little so I had to add my own spin.

It is difficult to see but the quilting is also small birds surrounded by wind-like lines.  It fits this year’s Roberta theme of birds, but also evokes the Holy Spirit. Since the birds are white it is also my wish for all of you (and me) for 2017: Peace.  Happy New Year!

 

Skip to toolbar