Well, I did get the first group of my calendar blocks made:
They turned out quite unusual. Steve said: well, you finished them you will have to make a quilt. He doesn’t realize the big box I have of finished blocks that are not yet quilts down in the basement.
The “No place like home” quilt is also progressing. Here is the first part:
Yes, it is Glenda the good witch. I am not certain what I will do with with her face yet, if anything and her wand somehow got bent in a weird way, but I still like her. More to come…
Dear Husband got me a great present- Quilting Block & Pattern-a-Day 2016 Calendar. Notice the dates- I’m already four days ahead. I’m rocking 2016 already.
Happy New Year to you and yours!
This one came together rather quickly. I’ve since put the rows together. Now I just have to quilt and bind it:
I had an idea for a red/pink/green quilt, so I cut out these:
Problem is, that I am already a little bored with it, and I haven’t even started sewing it yet. (Sigh).
So I decided to make a Wizard of Oz quilt. I have so many ideas for this quilt, it is just jumping out of my brain. As a member of this century, I started my project by making a Pinterest. I know, I am so tech-savvy and interconnected and social media-ey. Between that and my son ordering the same thing as me at Wendy’s yesterday: I feel so young and hip.
So, I’m off to see the Wizard!
I have been busy with projects with deadlines, now all of those deadlines have passed. Going forward, I am going to try to avoid projects with deadlines. In any case, I spent some time playing this weekend. While I was making the blue quilt I just finished I did some ender leader work. I am starting a red, pink and green quilt with funky squares. I went through my tiny scraps for more squares and made these red squares to go with the blue ones:
I have a surprising amount done.
I also made another kit:
It will be a long sleeve t-shirt. I was shy about a quarter inch for the front and the back panels, so I will add a thin strip in the front.
It has been a long time since I posted and even with this one I had technical problems. But good news, I finished this quilt, and in time for the wedding:
I talked to my sister and she has already found a home for it.
Here is the back:
I love how we were able to capture all the colors from the front.
Working hard on my projects that have a deadline of October. I have four. This one is going nicely. I am struck by the beauty of the palette, which is not one that I have ever worked with before. I really wanted to feature the lovely embroidery so the colors I chose to frame it with are very delicate.
I am very happy with it, and I have the frame almost completed.
The bears have their frames, next up the decision on how to bring them all together into one quilt. I had one really nice lay out, but the quilt ends up being orientated landscape. Whenever I make a quilt with a landscape layout it always seams a little wrong.
I really wanted to frame the embroidery to showcase them. I am proud that, unusual for me, I made samples to make the decision of what color ought frame the little bears without overwhelming them. I settled on the lavender/blue fabric that is shown above framing the bears and below to the far right. This is different palette for me, usually I love bright colors, especially for baby quilts. All of my primary color samples overshadowed the delicate embroidery.
I have used only stash fabric for this quilt so far. For the blue, I had exactly enough; I only had to piece one little strip at the very end. I was holding my breath while I sewed the last set. Someone must be watching over me (is it Lou?), because I have had that fabric for a while and it would have been difficult to match.
The blue quilt is now officially a flimsy, ready for quilting. Steve calls it “homey” and I guess it is with its unusual mix of fabric. It is a real stash quilt with every blue and green fabric in my stash in it. It really glowed when I photographed it.
We had to go down to Burnsville, so on the way I ran into the new SR Harris and picked up this lovely for the back:
It captures all the colors of the quilt and will hide a multitude of flaws in my quilting.
I moved most of my sewing stuff to the basement. In my particular mytopia way, I spent considerable time organizing my pre-cuts instead of attacking the giant pile of boxes full of fabric. I spent a happy hour carefully bundling these:
Whenever I am between projects and I am not sure what I will do next, I cut squares in various sizes. When I start a new project, I can pull out the colors that I need. Or I might use them for leader-ender projects, I used some hem tape to bundle them. I found one more group of squares today. I needed a piece of something to bind it so I pulled out the box of trims that belonged to my aunt Lou.
I found this:
This piece of hem tape was exactly the size I needed, neatly wrapped around a card and pinned so it wouldn’t get lost. I wondered why my aunt kept it because I can’t think of another use for a piece this short but I was glad she did because it worked perfectly.