new year new projects

Well, I did get the first group of my calendar blocks made:

They turned out quite unusual.  Steve said: well, you finished them you will have to make a quilt.  He doesn’t realize the big box I have of finished blocks that are not yet quilts down in the basement.

The “No place like home” quilt is also progressing.  Here is the first part:

DSC05432

Yes, it is Glenda the good witch.  I am not certain what I will do with with her face yet, if anything and her wand somehow got bent in a weird way, but I still like her.  More to come…

fingerless gloves

DSC05426

I finished these on the bus back from North Dakota last weekend. They came together very quickly. I did get to wear them to church on Christmas Eve. The pattern is from Alabama Chanin from Natalie Chanin.  I have a matching cardigan that Steve has dubbed theatrical.  He is probably right but it is still really fun.  Also, last weekend I went to the Nutcracker in Fargo and both the gloves and the cardigan would have fit in perfectly.

new quilt

I had an idea for a red/pink/green quilt, so I cut out these:

DSC05402

Problem is, that I am already a little bored with it, and I haven’t even started sewing it yet. (Sigh).

So I decided to make a Wizard of Oz quilt.  I have so many ideas for this quilt, it is just jumping out of my brain. As a member of this century, I started my project by making a Pinterest. I know, I am so tech-savvy and interconnected and social media-ey. Between that and my son ordering the same thing as me at Wendy’s yesterday: I feel so young and hip.

So, I’m off to see the Wizard!

new projects

I have been busy with projects with deadlines, now all of those deadlines have passed.  Going forward, I am going to try to avoid projects with deadlines.  In any case, I spent some time playing this weekend.  While I was making the blue quilt I just finished I did some ender leader work.  I am starting a red, pink and green quilt with funky squares.  I went through my tiny scraps for more squares and made these red squares to go with the blue ones:

DSC05400

I have a surprising amount done.

I also made another kit:

DSC05397

It will be a long sleeve t-shirt.  I was shy about a quarter inch for the front and the back panels, so I will add a thin strip in the front.

finish

It has been a long time since I posted and even with this one I had technical problems.  But good news, I finished this quilt, and in time for the wedding:

DSC05365

I talked to my sister and she has already found a home for it.

Here is the back:

DSC05359

I love how we were able to capture all the colors from the front.

DSC05353

More closeups:

DSC05355

One more:

DSC05354

baby quilt

baby quilt

Working hard on my projects that have a deadline of October.  I have four.  This one is going nicely.  I am struck by the beauty of the palette, which is not one that I have ever worked with before.  I really wanted to feature the lovely embroidery so the colors I chose to frame it with are very delicate.

I am very happy with it, and I have the frame almost completed.

organizing

I moved most of my sewing stuff to the basement.  In my particular mytopia way, I spent considerable time organizing my pre-cuts instead of attacking the giant pile of boxes full of fabric.   I spent a happy hour carefully bundling these:

DSC05308

 

Whenever I am between projects and I am not sure what I will do next, I cut squares in various sizes.  When I start a new project, I can pull out the colors that I need. Or I might use them for leader-ender projects, I used some hem tape to bundle them.  I found one more group of squares today.  I needed a piece of something to bind it so I pulled out the box of trims that belonged to my aunt Lou.

DSC05305

I found this:

DSC05304

This piece of hem tape was exactly the size I needed, neatly wrapped around a card and pinned so it wouldn’t get lost.  I wondered why my aunt kept it because I can’t think of another use for a piece this short but I was glad she did because it worked perfectly.

Skip to toolbar