I have been working on this rug for several years and just finished it yesterday. It is made out of selvages and other strips of fabric that were pretty much unusable:
If you examine it closely it is like the rings on a tree, but of various quilts. The center is selvages from the back of Paul’s quilt which I finished in 2012. Next time I will create “yarn” balls with the different colors to make it more orderly. Also, it is not a flat as I would like, I may reduce as I get out into the outer areas.
In other news, I did my first craft show with some small purses:
They were fun to make- but a little out there for sure, and perhaps suited to girls. We also made quite a few cards:
Half are mine and half are Steve’s:
We didn’t sell anything. For that, I blame Trump. Seriously, though, I likely overpriced my items. Since it was such a small show, I didn’t have much variety in my prices.That being said, I had a good time, and I consider it a success because Steve and I were able to create body of work. If we choose to do it again, we will have a head start on stock.
Finished this purse a few weeks ago:
Lately I have been about quilts as garments and this was a first idea.I have the beginning of a jacket as well. The inside of pockets and the bag lining are bright orange. This was Steve’s idea. I love this idea and am still amused by the little surprise of the the color. I used small bits of it on the strap as well. The strap is intentionally not even, creating a sinewy sensual line. I usually wear it across the body, so it is a nice semi vertical line. I also used several polymer clay objects that I had made a long time ago. By and large, I am happy with it, although it could be slightly bigger inside. Next time I will spend some time thinking about making a flat bottom so more items will fit inside.
So as the valentine quilt starts to complete, I working on this quilt that I have been thinking about. I have one block done already here. This quilt I am taking ideas from pinterest where there is an unlimited amount of cat blocks. The second block I made was an adaptation from this stained glass piece I saw on pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/570972058990043413/
The question that I am still debating is whether the cats should have faces. I have started a third block also- more to come.
I have been working on this dress for a couple weeks and finished it last week. I wore it to work and got a lot of good feedback- which gives me the courage to post it here.
I added the little blouse which matches pretty closely and has little beaded edge.
Here it is without the blouse- unfortunately, the horizontal stripes are better when they are broke up by the jacket or they widen me a little bit. Also, it turns out if I have to take more than one picture I start to get cross. I should probably be nicer to my photographer. He took quite a few more and I always have that slightly angry face on which means I was “saying hurry up already”.
I drafted the pattern from a dress that I have that I loved that got a hole in it. I used Alabama Chanin techniques to hand sew it. In the process of sewing the neckline either stretched or was slightly too wide. I had reinforced the neckline with hand basting, but in future, I may fuse some fusible interfacing to the neckline to avoid stretching. It gapped when it was finished. I ran a line of elastic thread by hand in the binding right in the center front, hence the gathering.
Julie from my church gifted me this fabric. Originally it was cream and brown, I wasn’t too fond of the cream so I over dyed the fabric, first red then black. As you can see, there must be some polyester in the fabric because I didn’t get a super dark color either time. It took dye unevenly, resulting in the lighter stripes in between the wide stripes. I like this, too.
I will definitely remake this dress, it is super comfortable.
Several projects that I have been slowly working on. This first one is near my heart. It is corduroy and so far just two fabrics, one my husband’s old shirt and one my sister gave me.
It is a wonky log cabin. It is so much more successful than this block that I was also playing with:
Several errors here. Since is it was play I probably won’t redo it. I was frustrated with it because it caused a lot thinking to put it together. Someone with more patience than me would need to put a whole quilt of this pattern together. I get so much more enjoyment out of the wonky blocks instead of trying to force the pattern.
The last one is a bag I am making. I just have a vague idea of how this will go together but I love the trajectory:
I finished these on the bus back from North Dakota last weekend. They came together very quickly. I did get to wear them to church on Christmas Eve. The pattern is from Alabama Chanin from Natalie Chanin. I have a matching cardigan that Steve has dubbed theatrical. He is probably right but it is still really fun. Also, last weekend I went to the Nutcracker in Fargo and both the gloves and the cardigan would have fit in perfectly.
I have been busy with projects with deadlines, now all of those deadlines have passed. Going forward, I am going to try to avoid projects with deadlines. In any case, I spent some time playing this weekend. While I was making the blue quilt I just finished I did some ender leader work. I am starting a red, pink and green quilt with funky squares. I went through my tiny scraps for more squares and made these red squares to go with the blue ones:
I have a surprising amount done.
I also made another kit:
It will be a long sleeve t-shirt. I was shy about a quarter inch for the front and the back panels, so I will add a thin strip in the front.